Off to Uni : First Year Experience

To say the past like nine months have been a rollercoaster would be an understatement. It's crazy to think how quickly the time has passed and that I've completed a 1/3 of my degree already is just insane. My first year has had its ups and downs but I would never change a single thing.




Well, where to begin. I moved into my student Halls on the 13th September. I was in a flat with five other people, which terrified me because its with people you've never met, they don't know you, you don't know them, it also excited me though. I was fortunate enough to talk to four of my five flatmates before I even moved in as I already knew the flat I was living in. This personally helped because when we all moved in we already knew each others names and faces and it helped break the ice so much. Move in day was a whirlwind of emotions. I was happy to finally be at university and away from home and be completely dependent on myself, it felt like the perfect next step in my life but what surprised was that I was really emotional, saying goodbye to my parents and sister was so much harder than I thought despite knowing that they were only a phonecall away if I ever needed them, I did cry but its hard to step away from the comfort you've had your entire life knowing your parents are never that far away when you've needed them to move out and just be completely on your own.



After my parents left it was just as much of a whirlwind. I met most of my flatmates, all of those I had been speaking to online, we were all unpacking and getting used to our rooms which would be our home for the next nine months. That night myself and the girls went out. It was very weird, every since turning 18 and being able to go out I've taken advantage of being in an environment that I know well and being surrounded by people who I know and trust. To go out in a complete different city with practially strangers is terrifying. Because we literally knew nothing we decided to walk to town, which is quite a bit of trek when you don't really know where you're going (we did this a lot during freshers week! Looking back I don't know how we managed to do it!) I had made a conscious decision not to get drunk during freshers, don't get me wrong I drank but I knew my limits. at the end of the day I was out with people who didn't know me sober let alone drunk and you can never know if they would just leave you at the drop of the hat. Luckily all of the girls were the same and we all made sure none of us would leave alone or without one another.

Freshers week for me was very busy, most courses had induction days but I had an induction week (thats what I get for picking law I guess). Meeting people you were living with was one thing but meeting people on your course was another, most of these people would become my confidents and the people who I'd be spending most of my time with over the next year and even the next two years of my degree. I met some amazing people this week and really fell in love with my course. The people I met have become some of my closest friends. I guess it helps when you are spending so much time in the library and lectures together.


In terms of my course I couldn't have picked anything better. Yes, it has been difficult and yes, there have been times where I thought this wasn't for me but its normal for people to think this. It has all worked out for the best, I have survived my first year. I did really well in semester one in terms of my results and coursework and I've just finished sitting my first university exams and they went relatively well. If you'd like me to do a more detailed post on my course and the work entailed comment below because I'd love to do that!

In terms of next year I will be continuing on with my law degree which will be getting inevitably more difficult and more demanding. I am living with the three girls I have been living with throughout my first year and we are living in another student accommodation which is for second and third years. If you wish to see how I was getting ready for my first year of university this time last year make sure to check out my other Off To Uni posts.

This year, as I said, has been a rollercoaster of emotions but I wouldn't change it for the world! I can now understand how most people say their time at university was the best time of their lives, and if is this the experience I've had in the first year I cannot wait for the next two years! 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...